I have been booking and coaching professional speakers since 1982. And here is what I have observed:.
- The best speakers do not fill the air with a lot of words — they make the space for their audience to tell them what they need to know.
- The best speakers ask, “What do you need to really hear from me to give you what you came to hear?”
- The best speakers are brief and clear, and make the most of a short period of time.
- The best speakers focus on observations, feelings, needs and clear requests of their audience.
- The best speakers demonstrate exuberance for their topic and engage their audience with that exuberance.
- The best speakers have great insight and wit and use deprecating humor where appropriate.
- The best speakers are great storytellers -– highly entertaining and inspiring.
- The Coach believes . . . that the best speakers inspire their audiences to make some change . . . if they do, things will probably get better.