Before Installing Office 2013 Customer Preview
All you need to do is go to the Office 2013 Customer Preview site, and follow the instructions to quickly install a beta version of Office 2013 on your computer. Well, not all of that was true -- we are not saying that it's a herculean task to install this Customer Preview, but it's no piece of cake either!
First of all, you must fulfill the following prerequisites and recommendations:
- You must be running either Windows 7 or 8 -- of course the latter has not yet released, and is only available in a Preview version, much like Office 2013.
- Make sure you have a full backup of your system -- and ideally this should not be your primary work environment -- we know many users will not care and still go ahead with this install -- but we did warn you!
- If possible, consider installing Office 2013 on a virtual environment -- this means that you can create a virtual machine using VMware Workstation, Microsoft Virtual PC, or VirtualBox. The latter two are free, while you will have to buy a license for VMware's Workstation product. VMware also creates Fusion, a product that lets you create Windows virtual machines on your Mac. The benefit of using a virtual machine is that you can remove the entire machine with just one Delete action, and the rest of your computer remains unaffected with all pre-release software.
- You can use any web browser to visit the install site, and thereafter install Office -- but we strongly recommend you use Internet Explorer.
- You also need lots of time -- bargain for at least two hours if you have a very fast internet connection. If you have a slow connection, then start this process in the morning at your office -- or in the evening at home. Make sure you have no appointments for a few hours!
The Office 2013 Customer Preview will install on a computer that already has an older version of Microsoft Office installed -- but be warned that the new version of Outlook will not co-exist with any older version of the same program. It's a known fact that you can have only one version of Outlook installed on your system. Again, make sure you install Office 2013's Customer Preview version only on a test system or a virtual machine.
We have already explained some install options in our Getting the Office 2013 Customer Preview Beta post. In the next post of this series, we will explore the actual installation process.
April 2003 | May 2003 | December 2003 | January 2004 | February 2004 | March 2004 | April 2004 | May 2004 | June 2004 | July 2004 | August 2004 | September 2004 | October 2004 | November 2004 | December 2004 | January 2005 | February 2005 | March 2005 | April 2005 | May 2005 | June 2005 | July 2005 | August 2005 | September 2005 | October 2005 | November 2005 | December 2005 | January 2006 | February 2006 | March 2006 | April 2006 | May 2006 | June 2006 | July 2006 | August 2006 | September 2006 | October 2006 | November 2006 | December 2006 | January 2007 | February 2007 | March 2007 | April 2007 | May 2007 | June 2007 | July 2007 | August 2007 | September 2007 | October 2007 | November 2007 | December 2007 | January 2008 | February 2008 | March 2008 | April 2008 | May 2008 | June 2008 | July 2008 | August 2008 | September 2008 | October 2008 | November 2008 | December 2008 | January 2009 | February 2009 | March 2009 | April 2009 | May 2009 | June 2009 | July 2009 | August 2009 | September 2009 | October 2009 | November 2009 | December 2009 | January 2010 | February 2010 | March 2010 | April 2010 | May 2010 | June 2010 | July 2010 | August 2010 | September 2010 | October 2010 | November 2010 | December 2010 | January 2011 | February 2011 | March 2011 | April 2011 | May 2011 | June 2011 | July 2011 | August 2011 | September 2011 | October 2011 | November 2011 | December 2011 | January 2012 | February 2012 | March 2012 | April 2012 | May 2012 | June 2012 | July 2012 | August 2012 | September 2012 | October 2012 | November 2012 | December 2012 | January 2013 | February 2013 | March 2013 | April 2013 | May 2013 |
Microsoft and the Office logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.