Nancy Duarte has been Principal at Duarte Design since 1990. Her firm is in the heart of the Silicon Valley, and the client list is loaded with Fortune 500 companies. Her passion for business communications that are clear, meaningful and attractive has opened doors for her in a business world full of cluttered and complex visual communications. After authoring two best-selling books, Slide:ology and Resonate, Nancy announced the release of her new book, HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations.
In this conversation, Nancy discusses her new book.
Geetesh: Your new book, HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations has been just released – tell us more about what motivated you to write this book?
Nancy: When HBR called me to write this guide book, the premise was “if your boss broke their leg and you had to present in their place, write the one book you’d want to have on your bookshelf”. Well, it’s impossible to be an accomplished presenter in those circumstances, but I wanted to give it a shot to create a reference book that covers everything from creating great content to dealing with stage fright.
Geetesh: Does HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations build upon your other books, Slide:ology and Resonate – and how can readers of those books benefit from this new one?
- Know your audience and build empathy
- Develop persuasive content
- Use storytelling principles and structure to engage your audience
- Identify the best modes for communicating your message
- Conceptualize and simplify the display of information
- Deliver your presentation authentically
- Measure and increase your presentation’s impact on your audience.